Friday, March 6, 2009

Boston & Addison Updates

Well, it's been a while again, so I have lots of updates to share! From 2/18-2/21, I finally left Addison home alone with Daddy while Meredith and I went out to Boston to surprise Erin for her 30th birthday. I thought I would take leaving her a lot harder than I did, but I knew she was in good hands. My sisters and I had a blast and I can't believe we pulled off the surprise after keeping it a secret since Thanksgiving. Nat was quite the trooper and had the whole thing planned for us...I must say...he's either really good at keeping secrets or really good at lying :) Here are a couple pictures from our trip. To see all the pictures, visit the link to the full album just below.

Sissies outside "Cheers" Eno's birthday dinner at "The Melting Pot" Pooped after a long trip
Click here to visit the album
Boston 2009 (Eno's 30th Birthday)

Addison did great with Daddy while I was gone, though her schedule was a little messed up when I got back. Adam's more of a pushover than I am when it comes to "giving in" to what the baby wants :) Thanks to Sandra (her daycare lady) she was back on schedule within a day or so. Since getting home from Boston, we've been preparing for our trip to Cancun that we'll be taking with our friend Pat on 3/18-3/22. It may sound stupid, but our 10-year "dating" anniversary falls on 3/19, so we're excited to celebrate our being together for 10 years! I think it's pretty incredible since we starting dating in high school and Adam was gone quite a bit for the military.

Anyway, in getting ready for our trip, we've also been trying to get Addison ready too. Since she'll be home with Auntie Rissa and both sets of grandparents, we want to make sure that taking care of her is as easy as possible. To do that, we've officially transitioned her to her own room (it only took 5+ months) and we got her eating solids at least once a day. She is such a trooper that I can't believe how well she's taken to all the changes!

She started eating just rice cereal on 2/25, but really wasn't very good at it. We thought maybe physiologically she wasn't ready for solids yet...that is until we realized that she didn't like rice cereal alone all that much. On Monday of this week (3/2) we introduced apple sauce in her rice cereal and she absolutely can't get enough of it...that is until she gets full :) She still doesn't eat much quantity, but the amount she eats she takes pretty quickly and constantly has a gaping mouth waiting for more. I can't believe our little girl is growing up so fast!

After solids came moving her out of her co-sleeper in our room and into her crib in her own room. I knew this would definitely be harder on me than it would be on her since I've grown so used to being able to roll over and look at my little sweetheart anytime I want. We started her in her crib on Friday night and were suckers to her crying for 3 nights in a row. Either Adam or I would go upstairs, change her diaper, rock her a little bit, and then put her back down once she was sleepy again. This definitely had to stop!

After seeking advice from more a experienced parent (AKA my sister Meredith), we knew it was time to "cry it out". So, on Monday and Tuesday night, that's exactly what we did. She would wake up at 1:30am and we'd hear her on her monitor crying, but we wouldn't move an inch. After crying for an hour each night (which seemed more like an eternity), she successfully put herself back to sleep.

However, I knew something was a little fishy about why she was waking up crying. Each morning that I went to get her, she would be turned 180-degrees in her crib, laying on top of her blankets with her hands, legs, and feet super freezing. So, on Wednesday night, we decided to bundle our little baby up before bed and see if that would help. We kept her in socks and put her in her sleeper, then we put her in her fleece "sleep sack", and then we put her blankets on top of her. It sounds like a lot, but it's really not. And guess what?!? It totally worked! For the past two nights, she has slept perfectly! She barely moves from the position I originally put her in and she doesn't make a peep all night! Who would've thought that we didn't need to "cry it out" with her...she was just cold?!?

Here are some pictures of our big 5-month old...Enjoy!

"Baby Grumpis" home with daddy
She says, "Get me out of this tiny bed!" Cutest baby ever!!!So pooped from playing...she couldn't keep her eyes open!
(Looks like she takes after mommy...see the picture of me above from Boston!)

No comments: